Scroll to the end of the page to read about what to expect at your initial visit and follow-up visits
The Arvigo Techniques of Maya Abdominal Therapy® are founded on an ancient Mayan technique of abdominal massage. Maya Abdominal Therapy is a non-invasive, external massage technique that guides internal abdominal organs into their proper position. The technique works by relieving congestion and blockages to improve the flow of energy and fluids of the circulatory and lymphatic system.
Maya Abdominal Therapy is best known for the correction of the prolapsed, fallen, or tilted uterus and for relief of many common digestive disorders.
Uterine / Pelvic / Reproductive Health
Normally the uterus leans slightly over the bladder in the center of the pelvis. It is held in this position by muscles and ligaments. The ligaments and muscles can weaken and loosen, causing the uterus to fall downward, forward, backward or to either side.
When reproductive organs shift, they can constrict normal flow of blood and lymph, and disrupt nerve connections, causing painful menstruation and fertility issues. By shifting the uterus back into place the natural balance of the body is restored in the pelvic area and the surrounding organs. Toxins are flushed and nutrients that help to tone tissue and balance hormones are restored to normal order. This is essential for healthy pregnancy, labor, and delivery.
Old adhesions from invasive treatments to the pelvic and abdominal area, including fibroid tumors, endometriosis, and cesarean delivery are diminished when addressed by the Arvigo Techniques of Maya Abdominal Therapy®.
Digestive Benefits / Scar Tissue / Abdominal Surgery
Individuals with digestive disorders such as constipation, indigestion, heartburn, gastritis, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Crohn’s Disease and more can benefit greatly by using Maya Abdominal Therapy.
Scar tissue and adhesions can often cause sluggish digestion and circulation after abdominal surgery. Maya Abdominal Therapy helps to break down the scar tissue and adhesions from past or present surgeries that result in swelling, burning and deep aching pains in the pelvis.
If the uterus is leaning on the bladder, or if the prostate gland is swollen and impacting the bladder, a person may experience a wide range of urinary issues. A tipped uterus can result in incontinence, leaking, bladder infections, and frequency. A swollen prostate gland can diminish the urine stream, make it difficult to initiate the flow of urine and cause frequency.
Painful Menstruation and PMS
Maya Abdominal Therapy can help reduce or eliminate menstrual cramping and symptoms of PMS, such as bloating, irritability, depression, headaches and migraines. Many women report feeling more centered and calm with a noticeable decrease in symptoms after a series of Maya Abdominal Therapy treatments.
The abdomen is an area where people often store repressed emotions that can be the cause of muscular armoring and a consequent decrease in vitality and fluid circulation. Maya Abdominal Therapy can energize, strengthen, and detoxify your system to enable, identify and release stuck or repressed emotions.
Arvigo® Therapy is renowned for fertility enhancement. It helps by shifting the uterus into the proper position, increasing circulation and balancing blood, Qi, lymphatic, nerve, and hormonal flow. It addresses stress-related fertility issues, unexplained infertility, tubal blockages, ovarian cysts, irregular menstrual cycles, hormonal imbalances and abdominal adhesions from surgeries.
Arvigo® Therapy can be applied as a stand alone treatment or in combination with other therapies, such as acupuncture, chiropractic care and assisted reproductive technologies.
For IVF support, it is optimal to receive four weeks of Maya Abdominal Therapy prior to stimulating the ovaries and if possible between the retrieval and transfer.
Even if you are not having fertility issues, the Arvigo Techniques of Maya Abdominal Therapy® support women as they prepare their bodies for conception, leaving a healthier internal environment for baby.
For men, Maya Abdominal Therapy can increase sperm count as well as overall health of the male reproductive tract.
Maya Abdominal Therapy During Pregnancy
Maya Abdominal Therapy is known to alleviate much of the discomfort of abnormal pressure from the dropped or tilted uterus. This abnormal pressure during pregnancy can lead to low back pain, sciatica, leg swelling, varicose veins, hip pain, constipation, headaches, difficult labor and delivery.
Arvigo® Therapy supports physical changes and can help alleviate common discomforts during pregnancy, providing optimal birth position for baby thereby easing labor, birth and postpartum recovery.
As the baby and uterus grow, additional strain is put on the uterine and pelvic ligaments and pelvic floor muscles. With regular sessions, the uterus stays well-positioned for a more comfortable pregnancy, receives good blood supply, and grows strong and resilient.
Maya Abdominal Therapy normalizes pelvic alignment allowing the uterus to be guided into optimal position for an easier labor and delivery.
Improved Labor Outcomes with Maya Abdominal Therapy
Arvigo® practitioners around the world have repeatedly found that their clients experience significantly shorter and easier labors. Midwifery-based practices that have integrated Arvigo® Therapy into their prenatal care have reported positive differences in birth outcomes as evidenced by more efficient contractions and shorter labors.
Average Labor for First Time Moms-
- With regular Maya Abdominal Therapy: 7 hrs 10 min
- Without Maya Abdominal Therapy: 16 hours
- Difference: 7 hours 50 minutes less with Maya Abdominal Therapy
- With regular Maya Abdominal Therapy: 46 minutes
- Without Maya Abdominal Therapy: 1 hour 59 min
- Difference: 59 minutes less with Maya Abdominal Therapy
Women Who Have Given Birth at Least One Time Before-
- 18 of 30 women labored less than 4 hours with Maya Abdominal Therapy
- 19 of 30 pushed less than 10 minutes
- 11 of 30 pushed once
Postpartum Recovery and Healing
Postpartum is a time of physical and emotional adjustments. A new mother's body undergoes physiological and structural changes as part of healing from labor and birth and to return to her pre-pregnant state.
Arvigo® Therapy during postpartum facilitates recovery. It encourages involution to occur more quickly and efficiently. It supports the uterus and ligaments to return to an optimal position and helps bring the pelvis into balance.
Arvigo® Therapy may be resumed at 6 weeks postpartum following a normal vaginal delivery or 3 months after a cesarean birth to address the following:
- Helps heal Diastasis Recti
- Addresses pain from low back/sacral/coccyx injuries that can occur during birth
- Facilitates emotional healing from surgical birth and birth trauma
- Helps reduce and resolve scar tissue that may have resulted from a cesarean birth
Pelvic Floor Stagnation and Congestion
The pelvic floor muscles are a group of muscles that are arranged within the pelvis like a sling or hammock, connecting the front, back, and sides of the pelvis and sacrum. They provide support to the organs of the pelvis, including the bladder, uterus or prostate, and rectum.
When there is stagnation in the pelvic floor, abnormal muscle tension develops as a protective response to pain. This abnormal guarding of these muscles becomes a secondary source of pain and can also lead to many other symptoms. For this reason, people with pelvic pain are often provided significant relief of these symptoms by releasing the tension and bring the blood and lymphatic flow back into the muscles of the pelvic floor.
Symptoms associated with Pelvic Floor Stagnation and Congestion:
- Pain with intercourse, orgasm or sexual stimulation
- Pelvic pain
- Pain in the genital area
- Sluggish digestion
- Rectal pain
- Urinary frequency and urgency
- Painful urination
- Inability to empty the bladder
- Ovarian cysts
- Recurrent vaginal infections
- Uterine fibroids
- Uterine infections
- Unexplained low back pain
The most common symptoms that are improved by incorporating Maya Abdominal Therapy into ones health care:
MENSTRUAL & OVULATORY SYMPTOMS
- Painful periods
- Painful ovulation
- Dark blood with menstruation
- Clotting with menstruation
- Abnormal uterine bleeding
- Low back pain with period
- Irregular menstrual cycles
- Irregular ovulation
- Failure to ovulate
- PMS / Depression / Irritability
- Difficult menopause
- Headaches or Migraines with period
- Difficulty getting pregnant
- Chronic constipation
- Pain with bowel movements
- Chronic indigestion or heartburn
- Gastro Esophageal Reflux (GERD)
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Crohn’s Disease
- Frequent urination
- Nocturnal urination
- Difficult, painful or incomplete urination
- Chronic bladder infections
- Varicose veins
- Tired weak legs
- Restless legs
- Numb legs and feet
- Low back pain with period
- Pelvic floor stagnation
- Post surgical scar tissue
- Strengthens uterine ligaments
- Decreases ligament pain and discomfort
- Supports optimal fetal alignment
- Decreases chronic muscle tension, restores balance to muscles and ligaments.
- Improves lymphatic circulation and decreases incidence of edema
- Releases tension in ribcage and diaphragm, making it easier to breathe more deeply
- Releases tension and anxiety
- Helps reduce nausea and heartburn
- Prostate enlargement or discomfort
- Difficult, painful or incomplete urination
- Erectile dysfunction (depending on cause)
- Low sperm count
What Could Cause a Displaced Uterus?
- Chronic muscle spasm around the low back and sacrum
- Emotional armoring from abuse at anytime in life
- High impact exercise, running on cement, etc
- Injury to the sacrum or tailbone from a fall, car accidents, childbirth, etc
- Lifting and carrying heavy objects too soon after childbirth
- Past surgeries
- Pelvic ligaments that have weakened during pregnancy and birth
- Time and gravity
- Weak pelvic floor muscles
Maya Abdominal Therapy is not performed:
Within the first 6 weeks following a normal vaginal delivery or the first 3 months after having a cesarean birth
If cancer is present or suspected anywhere in the pelvis, or the client is undergoing chemotherapy for this condition
Immediately after abdominal surgery
Maya Abdominal Therapy is offered as a supportive modality to enhance health and wellness, it is not meant as an entire approach to health care. If you have any serious medical conditions, please consult your health care provider first.
Depending on the severity of the problem, it may take as little as one session and as long as many months for the uterine position to be corrected and for the ligaments to gain enough strength and elasticity for it to stay in place. It can take about 3 to 4 sessions before noticeable changes occur.
- Please fill out the appropriate health history form for your session and email it to me a day or 2 ahead of your appointment or bring it in completed. If you are not able to do either of those options, you can come to your first appointment 15 minutes early to fill one out.
- Make sure you are clear of any contraindications before you schedule your first appointment.
- Adults need to allow approximately 2 hours for their first appointment.
- Children need approximately 1 hour for their first appointment.
- Please schedule 2 hours and 15 minutes if you would like a steam along with Arvigo® Therapy
To enhance your results, consider scheduling a steam along with your Arvigo® Therapy session.
What to Expect During Your Initial Visit:
- Your first Arvigo® Therapy therapy session will last approximately 2 hours. If you only have time for 90 minutes we can complete what was missed during the treatment at your next visit. If you schedule a steam along with Arvigo® Therapy, it will be about a 2 hour and 15 minute session.
- During your session, we will thoroughly review your health history form and your current needs and desires for the work we will be doing.
- Your session will include a warm castor oil pack.
- I will teach you how to make and apply a castor oil pack at home and where to purchase the products.
- While the castor oil is doing its magic, you will relax with a face, head, neck and shoulder massage or other areas as necessary to get the most benefit out of your session. Then back to your abdomen, followed by work on your sacrum, hips and back.
- I will instruct you in self care technique so you can continue to work on yourself at home between visits. This can greatly enhance your professional sessions. We can review self care at subsequent visits to make sure you are feeling confident in your technique.
- You are welcome to request other techniques along with your Arvigo® Therapy session.
What to Expect During Follow-up Visits:
- We will begin your session with a brief check in about your previous visit and your current needs.
- If you have requested a Steam Bath, that will be set up for you ahead of time.
- If your previous session was only 90 minutes and we didn't have time to go over the self care techniques we will do that during this appointment.
Some Symptoms you Might Experience After Your Session
You will not experience all of these symptoms. You may not even experience any of them at all. These are symptoms that have been reported by some clients over the years that I have been doing this work.
- You may experience pain or cramping a day or two after your session. There is nothing to worry about. We just worked on an area that is often neglected. If your uterus is retroverted or retroflexed, it can cause some pain while it moves into place.
- Menstruation can be a little more painful with an increase in flow as the uterus shifts into the correct position and sheds old material.
- You may experience unpleasant and foul-smelling discharge. This is happens as a result of the cleansing taking place after Arvigo® Therapy. As Rosita Arvigo likes to say, “better an empty apartment than a bad tenant.”
- You may experience a shift in your cycle. Sometimes menstruation and/or ovulation is a little earlier than expected and sometimes it can be delayed.
- Nausea, vomiting or constipation rarely occurs, but has been known to happen.
- You might experience a cleansing effect on your digestive system. This can be gentle or it might be a bit intense.
- You may experience an increase or decrease in urinary output, sometimes accompanied by the release of old tissue with urination. This will subside in a day or two.
- It is not uncommon to release stored emotions after a session. They can be pleasant (joy, laughter, blissful feelings), unpleasant (anger, sadness, frustration) or you might feel incredibly grounded and centered. Be kind to yourself and allow the emotions to release no matter what they are.